First Inductee into the RideAbility Volunteer Hall of Fame
RideAbility Volunteer Hall of Fame, which some day there may be a place (…..or something written on the whiteboard).
Nancy Yorke is the first inductee!
RideAbility is run 100% by volunteers. We have many volunteers who help run the day-to-day operations, like the 4 J’s, Jeanie, Jim, Jacob and Janet. But RideAbility would be a much different place without people who handle the millions of miscellaneous minutiae. And the Queen of the Miscellaneous Minutia is Nancy.
Nancy has been here longer than most anybody who’s last name isn’t “Michelizzi” or “Williamson.” She has hung in there! This just proves Nancy’s patience and dedication and good heart.
Some of her miscellaneous minutiae are:
- Sponsoring and support Hannah — Hannah is our foundation horse at RideAbility and Nancy has been Hannah’s foundation. Nancy has cared for Hannah financially, physically and emotionally. Hannah always knows if Nancy is there, life is gonna be good! Don’t want to pick up your hoof for picking? Nancy won’t make you! Nancy even travelled to San Diego to the Path International Annual Conference when Hannah won her award as our District’s Horse of the Year. If you have never travelled with the Michelizzis, you have no idea what a great feat she performed!
- Fly annihilation — Nancy is in charge of the Fly Eradication Program at RideAbility. Every year she buys and plants fly predators to help control the fly population. Not many of our volunteers would willing dig through poop to plant fly predators.
- Hauling stuff — We all let out a cheer when Nancy bought a truck! She is an extra set of wheels and hitch to haul horses and wagons and stuff! She claims she needs a truck because she’s from Oklahoma, but we know she just likes to haul stuff!
- Volunteering at every event — Nancy’s face is at almost every single event — horse leading or side walking or opening gates…doing whatever needs to be done.
- Driving the wagon — In recent years, Nancy has even taken the time to learn to drive the wagon and all that comes with that. She has been able to pinch hit when the usual drivers aren’t available.
These are just a few of the things that Nancy does that helps RideAbility continue on from year to year.
Congratulations on being the #1 Inductee into the RideAbility Hall of Fame!
Janet Snyder is the second inductee!
The number of hours she puts in at RideAbility are literally innumerable. She serves as bookkeeper, assistant program director, facility grounds keeper, senior volunteer, Horse Care&Exercise trainer and is horse-leading at almost every class and event. Her favorite horse is DeeDee.
Congratulations on being an Inductee into the RideAbility Hall of Fame!